The Kabud mosque (blue) is located in Tabriz (eastern Azerbaijan region) and its building dates back to the ninth century of the lunar Hegira. The 1780 earthquake of the year caused serious damage to the mosque and its domes collapsed and were later repaired and rebuilt.
The main building of the ancient Kabud or Jahānshāh mosque is in brick and in the Azeri architectural style with a variety of refined majolica and various types of lines used; in particular, due to the blue color of its mosaic tiles it has become famous as "the turquoise of Islam".
The large square courtyard of the mosque is centered on a basin. This building has a main and southern dome on the large square courtyard and a smaller southern square and also seven small domes to cover the Shabestan.
No structure was used in the construction of the domes of the mosque. In one part of the mosque there is a crypt with two ancient sepulchres.
The Kabud mosque was originally part of a large architectural complex called the "Mozaffarieh complex" which included the mosque and Khanqah (architectural structure specifically erected to house a Sufi brotherhood), the court and the biblitoeca and currently the only part left is the mosque.