Ancient Fortress of Ziviye
The Ziviye fortress (primitive Ziviye hill) is located in the village of the same name in the Saqqez district (Kurdistān region). The age of this elevated primitive hill lies between the ninth and seventh centuries BC and dates back to the reign of the Medes.
Archaeological excavations in this area gave birth to a magnificent historic fortress that was destroyed due to a fire. It was discovered in the 1947.
This fortress includes salons, a courtyard with a well for water, numerous rooms, a Talar colonnade (16 large columns in two rows of eight whose bases were in stone while the columns in raw brick and today nothing is left of them), the warehouse, the main entrance and protective staircases with natural stone walls and mud adobe.
This place has been repeatedly the subject of illegal research and archaeological excavations and the works found, looted or some of them have gone to embellish many museums, galleries and private collections in the world including the Louvre museum, the British Museum, L ' Ermitage, the Art Metropolitan of New York, while some are kept at the archaeological museum of Iran.
Among the most important works found from the excavations one can mention some remains of elephant tusks on which are engraved images of animals and mythological hunting scenes, golden eagle heads and necklaces of gold, various terracottas and with impressed images, many rython-shaped cervids, gold ornamental objects such as necklaces, rings, etc.